With effect from 1st January 2018 the National Minimum Wage is to increase.
The national minimum wage for an experienced adult is to increase by 30cent per hour with effect from 1st January 2018 to €9.55 per hour.
An experienced adult worker for the purposes of the National Minimum Wage Act is an employee who has been in employment of any kind in any 2 years over the age of 18. There are sub – minimum rates for those aged under 18.
The Act applies to all employees working under a contract of employment, whether full-time or part-time, temporary or casual, for any hours worked, with the following exclusions: an employee who is a close relative of the employer and specific industry apprentices.
The national minimum wage for experienced adult employees and the sub-minimum rates for young people and certain trainees are as follows:
Rates on or after 1st January 2018
– Experienced adult worker – €9.55 per hour
– Aged under 18 – €6.69 per hour
– In the first year after the date of first employment aged over 18 – €7.64 per hour
– In the second year after the date of first employment aged over 18 – €8.60 per hour
– Employees aged over 18, in structured training during working hours:
First one third period – €7.16 per hour
Second one third period – €7.64 per hour
Third one third period – €8.60 per hour
For more information on this Act follow the link: National Minimum Wage Act